Please click below to access the podcast.
This innovative American musician bridged the gap between ragtime and jazz, and created a sensation in France with his 369th Infantry Regiment Band. In this podcast we discuss Europe’s music, innovations in the area of music business, and lasting contributions to American music. Europe’s music is an important part of Brandon’s upcoming January 31st recital. You’ll hear Brandon discuss why he chose to feature this composer and what his research has taught us about this little-known figure in American music.
Besides the sketchy online information found on wiki sites, check out the following:
- Carnegie Hall Concert 1912
- Carnegie Hall Recreation Concert 1989
- Vernon and Irene Castle’s Ragtime Revolution, by Eve Golden
- Harlem’s Hellfighters, by Stephen L. Harris
- A Life in Ragtime, by Reid Badger (Award-winning biography of James Reese Europe)
- More music by James Reese Europe through the Library of Congress National Jukebox
- Watch dancers perform the Castle Walk
- Listen to St. Louis Blues (Abilene Christian University, Brandon Houghtalen)
- Listen to Memphis Blues (Arizona State University, Brandon Houghtalen)