In this episode, Brandon and Emmett discuss repertoire selection with Jordan Sayre, associate band director at Valencia High School.
- Resources for finding repertoire
- Balancing student interests, audience appeal, personal interest, and educational goals
- Repertoire’s importance in instructional design
- Suitability vs. Quality
Some resources mentioned:
- JW Pepper: Online music retailer offering streaming recordings and scores for thousands of works.
- Teaching Music Through Performance Series
Jordan Sayre is currently in his 3rd year as the Associate Band Director at Valencia High School in the Los Lunas Public School District where he directs the Symphonic band and Big Band Jazz Ensemble. He also assists with the Jaguar Marching Band which has won numerous accolades. Along with his duties at the high School, Mr. Sayre also teaches beginning band at Peralta and Bosque Farms elementary and assists with the concert band and the 4 time State champion Jaguar Band at Valencia Middle School. Mr. Sayre earned his Bachelor Degree in Music Education from The University of New Mexico.